Sunday 7 August 2011

Trouble in Tottenham







Just got back from Tottenham where only a few hours ago around 200-300hundred yoots were literally running riot. Parts of the High St. look like a war zone. I lost count of how many torched cars I saw. All the locals I talked to or overheard talking about it seemed totally shocked and dumbfounded as to why things got this violent. 'why?' being the word I heard most today. They also seemed angry at the police for taking to long to respond, with a few people telling me they saw shops and cars getting smashed up for a while with no police in sight.
When I took the shot of the torched car there was a guy filming it at the same time, turns out it was his car. He came out of his house last night and saw kids everywhere, some launching rocks and petrol bombs into his car. "what could I do?" he asked me.
From the state of the streets and the extent of the damage I can't believe there were no deaths. The reaper must have taken the night off or something.

No comments: